From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Hessen
District (Kreis) : Lahn-Dill Kreis (until 1976 Wetzlar)
Additions: 1977 Arborn, Beilstein (1971 Rodenroth; 1972 Rodenberg), Nenderoth, Odersberg, Ulmtal (1971 Allendorf, Holzhausen, Ulm)

Wappen von Greifenstein/Arms (crest) of Greifenstein
Official blazon
German blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


The arms were officially granted on ??-??-19??.

The arms are a combination of the arms of Beilstein (2nd quarter) and Ulm (3rd quarter) and ??.

The previous arms were designed and granted in 1951.

Wappen von Greifenstein/Arms (crest) of Greifenstein

The castle is the local Greifenstein castle, now a ruin, which was built in 1352 by Count Johan von Solms-Burgsolms and Count Ruprecht von Nassau-Sonnenberg. Later the castle was a possession of the Counts of Solms-Greifenstein, who used a canting griffin (Greif) in their arms. Hence the small shield with a griffin in the base of the arms.

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site