|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldik av verden
|Norwegian heraldry portal|
Province : Møre og Romsdal
The arms were granted on April 1, 1898.
The arms symbolise the importance of fishing for the city. The type of ship was typical for the ships used in the 18th and 19th century and is taken from a drawing made in 1762. The waves and fish were added to the drawing in the arms.
The arms are shown in the Kaffe Hag album with the boat sailing right instead of sailing left.
The arms by Ströhl in 1905.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1930
The arms on a Dutch Willem II cigar bond