258th Field Artillery Regiment, New York Army National Guard

258TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT, NEW YORK ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

Coat of arms (crest) of 258th Field Artillery Regiment, New York Army National Guard

(Coat of Arms)
Coat of arms (crest) of 258th Field Artillery Regiment, New York Army National Guard

(Distinctive Unit Insignia)


Official blazon

Shield: Gules, two bars Gray fimbriated Or in chief three mullets of the second (Gray) fimbriated of the third (Or).
Crest: That for the regiments and separate battalions of the New York Army National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Or and Gules, the full-rigged ship “Half Moon” all Proper.
Motto: PARATUS ET FIDELIS (Ready And Faithful).

Distinctive Unit Insignia. Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Gules, two bars Gray fimbriated Or in chief three mullets of the second (Gray) fimbriated of the third (Or). Attached below the shield a Gold scroll inscribed “PARATUS ET FIDELIS” in Red letters.

Origin/meaning

The shield is the shield of George Washington modified by reversing the colors and using gray piped with gold, instead of silver, and giving a red shield for Artillery. The arms of the Father of our Country are not to be borne by any organization and the shield of the regiment is accordingly modified. The reason for this selection is that it is a tradition that one company of this regiment paraded as an escort to General Washington on the occasion of his inauguration as President on 30 April 1789, and in commemoration of that event, assumed the name of “Washington Greys” which it has borne to this date. It was then an Artillery organization and wore a gray uniform.

The coat of arms was originally approved for the 258th Field Artillery Regiment on 19 January 1925. It was redesignated for the 258th Field Artillery Battalion on 12 March 1954. It was redesignated for the 258th Artillery Regiment on 22 March 1962. The insignia was redesignated for the 258th Field Artillery Regiment on 31 July 1972. The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 258th Field Artillery Regiment on 19 January 1925. It was redesignated for the 258th Field Artillery Battalion on 12 March 1954. It was redesignated for the 258th Artillery Regiment on 22 March 1962. The insignia was amended to add a motto on 18 October 1968. It was redesignated for the 258th Field Artillery Regiment on 31 July 1972.

Literature: Images from Wikimedia Commons. Information from The Institute of Heraldry, US Army


US heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Usa.jpg
US heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Newyork.jpg

US heraldry:




  • Total pages in the US section : 18,114
Brooklyn-snyder.jpg

Ecclesiastical Heraldry of the USA:

Department of Defense.png

Military Heraldry:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink  
Index of the site