Bad Sankt Leonhard im Lavanttal
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
BAD SANKT LEONHARD IM LAVANTTAL
State : Kärnten
District : Wolfsberg
The arms were officially granted on April 29, 1970.
The main charge is the holy abbot, St. Leonhard, with his attributes, crosier, book and chain. The small escutcheon in front of the saint is the arms of the Hochstift (Free State) of Bamberg (Germany). For centuries, the bishop was the lord of the market-borough of St. Leonhard and the surrounding lands.
The oldest seal of the city is known since April 22, 1391 and shows only the patron saint, not the small shield. The oldest known seal with the Bamberg arms dates from 1486. Later seals nearly all show the small shield, even though some seals are known without.
Literature : Deuer, 2006