|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
CASTLEFORD (urban district council))
Incorporated into : 1974 Wakefield
Arms : Gules on Water barry wavy in base proper a triple-towered Castle Or in chief two Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Eagle Or gorged with a Collar Gules pendent therefrom a Miner's Lamp proper and charged on each wing with a Lacy Knot Sable.
Motto: 'AUDACTER ET SINCERE' - Boldly and frankly
The arms were officially granted on March 3, 1952.
The name of Castleford is indicated by the gold castle and the ford of white and blue waves upon the shield. The white roses indicate the situation of the town in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The gold Roman eagle represents the fact that the town stands on the site of a Roman station and the a miner's safety lamp, alludes to the local coal-mining industry. On each wing of the eagle is the badge of the Laceys, Earls of Lincoln and Lords of the Honour in which Castleford used to lie.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:
Click on the image to support the site !
|Support the site:|
Download shop with old heraldic books