Clervaux

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Luxembourg.jpg
Luxembourg heraldry portal
Héraldique de Luxembourg
Luxemburgische Wappen
Luxembourg-flag.gif

CLERVAUX

Additions : 2011 Heinerscheid, Munshausen

Armoiries de Clervaux

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on May 30, 1896.

The arms of Clervaux are derived from the arms of the Clervaux family, which descended from the Lords of Wiltz. The lords of Wiltz used a golden shield with a red chief. The Lords of Clervaux used the same design, but with three silver merles (ducks without legs and beak) in the chief. These arms have always been used by the Lords and the city of Clervaux.

The above arms, however, show a different design. The arms most likely are based on a mistake. The original description mentions "merlettes" (martlets), but this is most likely misinterpreted as small "merles" (blackbirds). As black birds on a red chief are not allowed according the rule of tincture (no colour on colour) the colours of the main shield had to be exchanged.

The municipality uses different versions of the arms, see images below.

Wapen van/Blason de Clervaux

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1930
Clervaux1.jpg

The arms on the local pedestrian street (August 2013)
Clervaux2.jpg

The arms on a local sign (August 2013)
Clervaux3.jpg

The arms on a local sign (August 2013)


Literature : Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.