|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
District (Kreis) : Main-Tauber Kreis (until 1973 Mergentheim)
Additions : 1972 Archshofen, Blumweiler, Craintal, Finsterlohr, Frauental, Freudenbach, Münster, Niederrimbach, Oberrimbach, Reinsbronn, Schmerbach, Waldmannshofen
(de) In Silber zwei rot bewehrte und rot bezungte schwarze Leoparden (mit übergeschlagenen Schwänzen) übereinander.
Creglingen received city rights in 1349 from Emperor Karl IV. The city at the time belonged to the Counts of Hohenlohe. The oldest seal of the city dates from the first quarter of the 15th century and shows the two leopardized lions of the Counts of Hohenlohe. To distinguish the arms of the city from the counts, only the front part of the lions was shown.
When the city was acquired by the Margraves of Nürnberg in 1448 the seal showed the two lions completely. The arms basically never changed since, except that in some seals the lions were facing left, instead of right.
The arms did not changed after the addition of the other municipalities, but were again officially granted on December 21, 1976.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes. [[Category:Granted 1976]