Diocese of Ely

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


DIOCESE OF ELY

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Roman Catholic (1109-1559), Anglican (since 1559)
Established : 1109

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Ely

Official blazon

Gules three Ducal Coronets two and one Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.

The earliest recorded use of this Arms is by Bishop William de Luda in 1290. They are those assigned to S. Etheldreda, Queen of Northumbria and founder of the Abbey of Ely, in whose honour the Cathedral is dedicated.

Arms of Catholic Bishops

Arms of Anglican Bishops

Literature:


This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal

Perth-foley.jpg

Catholic heraldry

Bathurst-hurford.rel.jpg

Other Christian churches

Shaarhashomayim.rel.jpg
Other

  • Total pages in this section : 17,142
  • Total images in this section : 15,553

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink