Diocese of Ely

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

DIOCESE OF ELY

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Roman Catholic (1109-1559), Anglican (since 1559)
Established : 1109

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Ely

Official blazon

Gules three Ducal Coronets two and one Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms.

The earliest recorded use of this Arms is by Bishop William de Luda in 1290. They are those assigned to S. Etheldreda, Queen of Northumbria and founder of the Abbey of Ely, in whose honour the Cathedral is dedicated.

Arms of Catholic Bishops

Arms of Anglican Bishops

Literature:


Religious or Ecclesiastical heraldry portal



This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

Catholic heraldry


Other Christian churches


Other religions


  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 18,849
  • Total images in the Ecclesiastical section : 17,820

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site