|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
The arms were officially granted on March 2, 1896.
In the dexter chief corner, an old Viking Ship is placed; in the adjoining quarter the Eagle and Child, representing the Arms of the Derby family. Immediately under the Viking Ship is placed a Lion Rampant, representing the Arms of the Athole family; and in the quarter adjoining, the Three Legs of Man ungartered, the whole being surmounted by the Monarchal Crown of Her Majesty the Queen, as Lord of Man.
Underneath is a scroll with the words "Borough of Douglas", and another scroll containing the words in Manx Kiannoortys cheus thie jeh Kiannoortys, which, in English means Government within a Government, the Latin being Imperium in Imperio.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms on a Wills's cigarette card, 1906
The arms on a 1996 phonecard
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Image and information provided by Laurence Jones.