|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 East Lothian (District Council)
Gules, on a rock Proper a castle triple-towered Argent, masoned Sable, windows and portcullis closed of the field. Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet as befitting a Royal Burgh
The arms were officially granted on November 20, 1942.
The arms come straight from the oldest known Burgh seal, of which an impression dated 1357 is on record.
The red and silver colours are those of the ancient Earldom of Dunbar and the castle is the Castle of Dunbar. The Castle was destroyed by Act of Parliament in 1567.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Gules, on a rock Proper a castle triple-towered Argent,-masoned Sable, windows and portcullis closed of the Field. Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet: a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or.
The arms were officially granted on December 14, 1988.
The present community arms are based on the former burgh arms.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 2001