|Heraldry of the World|
|Swiss heraldry portal|
Armorial de Suisse
- (fr) Ecu cooupé le chef de pourpre chargé d'une barque il voiles d'argent, au naturel, voguant sur un lac- fascé et ondé d'argent et de pourpre (violet). La pointe: partie de gueules à la clef d'or en pal et d'argent à l'arc et à la flèche au naturel, posés en sautoir. Cimier de Genève (soleil). Feuillage: deux branches de houx liées. Devise: Aquae Vivae felicitas.
The arms were adopted on November 22, 1904.
The original arms used the sun taken from the arms of the Genève Canton as a crest and the motto Aquae Vivae felicitas, but these have hardly been used in practice.
The upper half shows the Lake Geneva and a sailing boat, indicating the position on the lake and the importance of commercial and touristic sailing. The lower half symbolises the local history. The key refers to the fact that in medieval times a large part of the area was owned by the Bishops of Genève. The diocese used two crossed keys as its arms. The bow and arrow refer to a training ground (Lieu de tir) for the 'noble sport of archery' mentioned in the village in 1444.
In the Café Hag albums initially the shield was shown without the boat and with only an arrow (see below), which was later corrected.
Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Please visit our partners (click on image):
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Armorial des communes Genevoises, 1925; idem 1977; Deaonna, 1912.