Country : Belgium
The arms were first granted on December 3, 1817 and again with a crown on July 21, 1923. The current arms were granted on August 7, 1981.
The old arms show a canting boar (ever), which already appeared on the arms of the late medieval Lords of Evergem, as well as on the seals of the village from the late 16th century. The colours ar ethose of Vlaanderen. The arms were slightly changed in 1923 and a crown was added.
After the mergers in 1977 new arms were designed. The new arms show the boar in the first quarter. The second quarter represnets Ertvelde, but does not show the former Ertvelde arms. Instead the three crowns are taken from the Van Artevelde family, whose name probably was derived from the village.
The third quarter shows the old arms of Kluizen. The fourth represents Sleidinge, which did not have its own arms. It shows the lion of Vlaanderen as in late medieval times the village was a direct possession of the Counts of Vlaanderen.
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site