|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The oldest seal of the city dates from the 14th century and shows a knight of the Teutonic Order, flanked by two trees, with a bird on each of the trees. The city at the time was a possession of the Teutonic Order. The only known other seal of the city dates from the 16th century and shows a female figure holding a bird. It is not known who the female represents. The dove is canting as "Golab" is Polish for "dove".
In the late 19th century Hupp showed the arms with the female figure (below left), but in 1917 he showed the image based on the oldest seal.
The arms at the end of the 19th century
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
|Follow us on
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !