Greenock

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,577

GREENOCK (Burgh)

Incorporated into: 1975 Inverclyde District Council

Greenock.jpg

Official blazon

Or, a three-masted ship of the year 1641, in full sail Proper, flagged at each masthead and at the jackstaff with the banner of Scotland, viz.: Azure, a Saint Andrew's cross Argent, and at the stern with an ensign Gules, cantoned with the Arms of Scotland as above, in a sea in base undy of the Second and Third, two herrings counternaiant Proper; on a chief of the Second, three covered cups of the First.
Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and below the Shield this Motto "God Speed Greenock".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on December 2, 1923.

Greenock was created a burgh in 1635 and a Burgh of Barony in 1641. The ship, whose four St. Andrew's flags were specially requested, and the herring in base denote the town's importance as a seaport and its connection with the fishing industry; the herrings also recall the quayside barrels on the old Burgh seal. The ship is depicted as a 1641 ship, based on the granting of the charter.

The golden cups on the blue field come from the arms of Shaw of Greenock.
The motto has been in use since about 1832

Arms (crest) of Greenock

The former Burgh seal
Arms (crest) of Greenock

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : Information taken from Urquhart, 1979