|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
- (1818) Van zilver beladen met drie klimmende leeuwen van keel, getongd en genageld van lazuur, staande twee en een.
- (1843) Eenen zilveren schild met dry roode leeuwen, met blauwe klauwen en tong.
- (1977) In zilver drie leeuwen van keel, geklauwd en getongd van lazuur.
The arms were granted on February 24, 1818, again on August 12, 1843 and November 29, 1977 .
The arms were supposedly derived from the arms of the Rotselaar family and territory. Haaltert and Kerksem formed in medieval times one court in the Rotselaar territory. The seal of this court from 1307 shows a quartered shield with the arms of Rotselaar and Van Boelare. The Van Boelare family ruled the area before the Rotselaar family. Although the villages were sold already in the 14th century and the seals no longer showed the Rotselaar arms, the local council still applied for the Rotselaar arms in 1813.
The Dutch College of Arms, however, granted the three lions in silver from the Rotselaar banner, instead of the three rooks from the Rotselaar arms. The arms never changed since.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955