From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 14:00, 29 January 2024 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "===Official blazon===↵↵===Origin/meaning===" to "{| class="wikitable" |+Official blazon |- |'''English''' | blazon wanted |} ===Origin/meaning===")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Province : Limburg
Incorporated into: 1976 Hamont-Achel

Wapen van Hamont/Coat of arms (crest) of Hamont
Official blazon
English blazon wanted


The arms were officially granted on March 22, 1920.

Hamont historically was part of the Grevenbroek Estate, which until the end of the 14th century was ruled by the Lords of Grevenbroek, a branch of the Arkel family. In 1401 Jan van Beieren, Prince-Elect of Liège conquered the town and added the estate to the County Loon.

The local council used a seal with the local patron saint, St. Lawrence. However, another seal from Hamont is known from 1767 with the arms shown above. The arms are a combination of the arms of Loon (red and golden bars) and the arms of Arkel. The crest shows a battlement, the origin thereof is not known. In 1920 is twas decided to use this combination as arms for the city and not St. Lawrence.


The old seal of the council
Wapen van/Blason de Hamont

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Servais, 1955