VOTING FOR THE HERALDRY TOP 100's 2023 IS NOW OPEN ! Vote here

Hamont

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

HAMONT

Province : Limburg
Incorporated into : 1976 Hamont-Achel

Wapen van Hamont/Coat of arms (crest) of Hamont

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on March 22, 1920.

Hamont historically was part of the Grevenbroek Estate, which until the end of the 14th century was ruled by the Lords of Grevenbroek, a branch of the Arkel family. In 1401 Jan van Beieren, Prince-Elect of Liège conquered the town and added the estate to the County Loon.

The local council used a seal with the local patron saint, St. Lawrence. However, another seal from Hamont is known from 1767 with the arms shown above. The arms are a combination of the arms of Loon (red and golden bars) and the arms of Arkel. The crest shows a battlement, the origin thereof is not known. In 1920 is twas decided to use this combination as arms for the city and not St. Lawrence.

Hammontz1.jpg

The old seal of the council
Wapen van/Blason de Hamont

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930

Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Servais, 1955