|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
HERNE BAY (urban district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 Canterbury
Arms : Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure, on a Chief of the last a Heron Or between two Crosses formee fitchee of the first.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Lymphad Gules with Pennant per fess Argent and Azure and the sail also Argent charged with a Bull statant Sable armed and unguled also Gules.
Motto: 'NE CEDE MALIS' - Yield not to adversity.
The arms were officially granted on June 8, 1948.
The blue and white waves are an obvious reference to the sea. The heron is allusive to the name, and was the device of the Council before the arms were obtained (see image below). The crosses, ecclesiastical emblems of Chist Church, denote the cathedral church of the Diocese and the parish church of Herie Bay.
The lymphad recalls the Roman occupation of the fort of Regulbium, now Reculver, and the ox is from the arms of Sir Henry Oxenden, one of the chief landowners in the district when Herne Bay was developed in the eighteen-thirties.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink