Inveraray

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 11:14, 26 September 2015 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Origin/meaning)

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 9,020
  • Total images in the British section : 4,215

INVERARAY

Incorporated into : 1975 Argyll and Bute District (1996 Argyll and Bute Area Council)

Inveraray.jpg

Official blazon

In the waves of the sea, five herring entering a herring net pendant from the sinister chief, all Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Semper Tibi Pendeat Halec".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 27, 1927.

Inveraray, erected into a Burgh or Barony in 1474 in favour of Colin, 1st Earl of Argyll and Lord High Chancellor of Scotland, was made a Royal Burgh in 1648 by King Charles 1.

The arms are most unusual in that the blazon is "all Proper". They follow the device on the Burgh seal known from 1684.

The herrings swimming into the net recall the famous herring fishing industry of Loch Fyne on which the town stands.

The Latin motto is something of a mystery; one suggestion is that it means "May the fish sauce always be ready for you".

Inverarayseal.jpg

Seal of Inverarayas used in the 1890s
Inveraray.jj.jpg

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Inveraray2.jpg

The arms as used in the town (source)

Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Support the site:
Donate.jpg

Click on the image to support the site !
Support the site:
Payhip.jpg

Download shop with old heraldic books

Literature : Urquhart, 1974