|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 Angus District Council (1996 Angus Area Council)
Argent, a man's heart Gules, ensigned with an imperial crown Proper; on a chief Vert, three mullets of the field.
[Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet] and in an Escrol under the Shield this Motto "Jamais Arrière".
The arms were granted on April 16, 1930.
Kirriemuir was created a Burgh of Barony in favour of George Douglas, 4th Earl of Angus, in 1458-59.
The arms are those of Douglas, and were used on the Burgh seal adopted in 1892 by permission of the 12th Earl of Home, who had succeeded to the estates of Douglas and Angus through his grandmother, the daughter of Lord Douglas (1748- 1827).
In token of the Burgh's connections with the Earl of Home, the chief has been given a field of green, the Home colour.
The French motto "Never Behind" is the Douglas one.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
The arms on a Jaja card, +/- 1905
Argent, a man's heart Gules ensigned with an imperial crown Proper, on a chief Vert three mullets of the Field.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Jamais Arriere".
The arms were granted on October 11, 1988.
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001