Lummen

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

LUMMEN

Province : Limburg
Additions : 1977 Linkhout, Meldert

Wapen van Lummen

Official blazon

  • (1907) Gevierendeeld: 1 en 4, in rood drie gouden mispelbloemen; twee en drie, in goud een dwarsbalk geschakeerd van drie rijen zilver en rood; uit den dwarsbalk komt een roode halve leeuw, genageld en getongd van blauw.
  • (1987) Gevierendeeld 1. en 4. in keel drie vijfbladen van goud, doorboord van het veld 2. in goud een dwarsbalk geschaakt van drie rijen van zilver en van keel met een uitkomende leeuw van keel, geklauwd en getongd van lazuur 3. in zilver twee boveneen geplaatste wolven van sabel, de bovenste achter en de onderste voor een uitgerukte boom van sinopel.

Origin/meaning

The first arms were granted on June 27, 1907 and renewed on March 10, 1987.

The first arms are quartered and show in the first and fourth quarter the arms of the Counts of Arenberg and in the second and third the arms of the Counts of the Mark.

Lummen.jpg

In the early 15th century Willem van der Mark acquired the estate of Lummen. The Counts of Arenberg acquired the estate through marriage in the 18th century and remained in possession of Lummen until 1793. The oldest seals of the council date from 1447 and 1451 and both show a shield with the arms of the Counts of the Mark.

See also Märkischer Kreis, Germany, and Mirwart.

After the merger in 1977 the arms were changed. The third quarter was replaced by the old arms of Meldert. As Linkhout also used the Aremberg arms, there was no need for additional changes.

Wapen van/Blason de Lummen

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Lummen

The arms on a police badge (source)


Literature : Servais, 1955; new image provided by Rudy Vanhorenbeeck, Belgium.