|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
The arms were officially granted on January 22, 1981.
The new arms combine the fish of the arms of Neeroeteren with the previous arms of Maaseik. As Opoeteren also used a combination of fish and the red and golden bars of Loon, all three municipalities are represented in the new arms.
The bars of Loon indicate that the area historically belonged to the Loon county. The village of Nieuw Eik (later Maaseik) received city rights in 1386, but the whole surrounding area remained part of Loon. Both were ruled by the same council. The council used the seal of the city which, from 1369-1423, showed a shield divided of Loon and an oak branch (Eik=oak). In the 16th century the city used a seal with new arms, instead of the oak branch an oak tree and three crosses was used. The meaning of the crosses is not known. During the centuries the crosses were placed in, around or above the oak tree. In 1909 they were pplaced above the tree.
The seal of the city of Maaseik (date unknown)
The previous arms were granted on May 22, 1909.
These arms are based on the old seal as described above.
The 1909 arms replaced the arms granted on December 21, 1819 and December 12, 1846.
The arms of 1819
The arms of 1846
Both arms show an oak branch as a canting element, taken from the oldest seal. As no historical colours were known, the arms were granted in the Dutch national colours. After the Belgian independance the arms were continued, but with a different crown.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955; new image provided by Rudy Vanhorenbeeck, Belgium.