Międzybórz

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The town was named Medzibor until the early 19th century. During the time when the city was part of Germany, the name was Neumittelwalde.

The arms are based on the old 17th century seal of the city. The tree probably is a canting symbol, the cross is unexplained. Hupp stated that the cross may be the symbol of St. Andrew, or derived from previous Lords of the area.

During the years the tree and the cross have been shown differently, see below.


The municipal stamp shown in 1892

The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925

The arms as shown around 1970

The arms as shown in 1994


Follow us :   
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature :