From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Bayern
Urban District (Stadtkreis) : Nürnberg
Additions : 1920 Ziegelstein, 1922 Röthenbach b. Schwabach, Eibach, Reichelsdorf , Mühlhof-Krottenbach 1923 Almoshof, Lohe, Schnepfenreuth, Zerzabelshof , 1924 Buch , 1928 Höfles , 1930 Kraftshof , 1938 Laufamholz, 1972 Boxdorf (partly), Großgründlach, Neunhof, Brunn, Fischbach bei Nürnberg, Katzwang, Kornburg, Worzeldorf

Wappen von Nürnberg
Official blazon

Gespalten; vorne in Gold ein halber, rot gezungter und golden bewehrter schwarzer Adler am Spalt, hinten fünfmal schräg geteilt von Rot und Silber.

English No blazon/translation known. Please click here to send your (heraldic !) blazon or translation


Nürnberg became a city in 1219 and became one of the most important cities in present Bavaria, in which it was included in 1803 (previously it was an independent city). The city uses two different arms; the great arms with the eagle with a king's head and the small arms with the eagle and red bends. Both were adopted in 1936.

The great arms are derived from the oldest seals of the city, known since 1220. All great seals and secret-seals show the eagle with a kings's head. Smaller seals only use the imperial eagle. In architecture and other pictures the figure was often displayed as a harpy; i.e. with a woman's head and breasts. The present arms go back to the original seals. The origin of the figure is not known.

Wappen von Nürnberg

Seal from 1253-1368
Wappen von Nürnberg

Seal from 1368-1808

The small arms are known as the real arms since 1240, where they are first mentioned. The arms showed a shield divided in 5 bends silver and red. The arms are probably derived from the arms of the first viscounts of Nürnberg. The demi-eagle, the imperial eagle, already appeared in pictures and architecture in the early 14th century. In some seals of possessions of the city (but not of the city itself) the arms are used since the 16th century. During the centuries the number of bends changed regularly and were finally fixed in 1936.

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal


German heraldry:


Selected collector's items from Germany:

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature: Image by B. Fracasso; Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s; Schaffer, 1937