From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Coat of arms (crest) of Oświęcim

Country : Poland

Province : Małopolska

County : Oświęcim

Loading map...
Official blazon
Polish blazon wanted
English blazon wanted


The town was founded by Prince Mieszko of Cieszyn (German-Teschen) in 1291. The arms date from the 15th century and bear the gold eagle of the Piast Princes of Cieszyn and a tower as an indication of city status.

On October 24, 1793 Emperor Franz II granted the city arms showing in blue a silver double-headed eagle, with a tower on its breast. These arms have been used until the end of the Austrian rule. The current arms only appear after 1920.

Historical, 15th century, coins of the city showed on the one side an eagle and on the other a tower with the letters O S for Ossuacim, the Latinized name of the town.

Image gallery

Literature : Ströhl, 1904; Plewako and Wanag, 1994

Poland heraldry portal

This page is part of the
Poland heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

Civic heraldry:

  • Total pages in the Poland section : 8,103
  • of which images : 5,036

Other heraldry:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site