|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldik av verden
|Norwegian heraldry portal|
Province : Aust-Agder
Additions : 1964 Søndeled
The arms were granted on July 18, 1891.
The arms show a lighthouse on a rocky island. This symbolises the Holmen fortress built in 1788. The history of these arms is quite curious. When on July 18, 1891 King Oscar II visited the city, a menu had to be printed. It was printed with a coat of arms on the top, which was probably designed by the printer. That afternoon the King approved the new arms, mainly because his name was printed under the arms on the menu.
The arms by Ströhl in 1905.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1930