|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1974 East Devon
Arms : Gules on Water in base barry wavy proper an ancient Galley in full sail oars in action Or on a Chief Argent a Cross couped of the first between two Fleur-de-Lys Azure.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from Water barry wavy proper a demi Lion Gules holding between the paws a Sun in splendour Or.
The arms were officially granted on October 24, 1949.
The red background represents the red cliffs of Devon rising out of the sea and the galley to Sidmouth's long seafaring history. The red cross of St. George and fleurs-de-lys are from the arms of Edward, Duke of Kent, who had a house in the town, where his daughter the future Queen Victoria spent part of her childhood. the fleurs-de-lys also refer to the floral beauties of the town's gardens and pleasure grounds. The red lion is from the arms of the Devon County Council accompamied by symbols of the sea and sunshine.
The arms are continued by the town council
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site