Uri

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms of Uri date from the early 13th century. The oldest known seal dates from 1249, but is probably older. It shows already a bull's head with a ring.


The first seal (used from 1249)

The second seal (used from 1258)

The third seal (used from 1353)

The fourth seal (used from 1489)

The bull was probably a canting symbol. The oldest Germanic tribes to settle in the area named the area Ur (wilderness). The land was inhabited by a kind of bulls, known as Urochs (Bos primigenus), the ancestor of our present cows.

The arms of the canton thus have basically not changed since.



The arms on a 1569 coin

The arms on a 1610 coin

The arms on a 1726 coin

The arms on a 1811 coin


Variations of the arms in the Kaffee Hag albums 1914-1960

___________________________________________________________

Rate these arms / rate this page :

0.00
      (0 votes)

(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)

Follow us on  

Literature : Mühlmann, L. : Wappen und Fahnen der Schweiz, Bühler Verlag, Lengnau, 1977 and 1997.