|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
- (1819) -
- (1841) D'argent, à trois feuilles de lac, de sinople, l'écu timbré d'une couronne à cinq fleurons d'or.
- (1978) D'argent à trois feuilles de nénuphar de sinople; l'écu sommé d'une couronne à cinq fleurons.
The arms were officially granted on September 15, 1819 and again on December 30, 1841 and February 2, 1978.
The arms are based on the old seals of the city, mentioned in 1273, but the oldest actual existing seal dates from the 16th century. Both show three water-lily leaves, probably derived from the Lords of Saint-Géry, the oldest known Lords of Wavre in the 13th century. Their seals showed the three leaves. Their title Saint-Géry/Sint-Gorik is derived from a marshy island in which is now part of Brussels. This may be the reason for the choice of the leaves.
Seal from 1355
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955