Additions : 2009 Kennet (1974 Devizes (Borough), Devizes RDC, Marlborough (Borough), Marlborough & Ramsbury RDC, Pewsey RDC), North Wiltshire (1974 Calne (Borough), Calne and Chippenham RDC, Chippenham (Borough), Cricklade & Wooton Bassett RDC, Malmesbury (borough), Malmesbury RDC), Salisbury (1974 Mere and Tisbury RDC, New Sarum (Borough), Salisbury and Wilton RDC, Wilton (Borough)), West Wiltshire (1974 Bradford & Melksham RDC, Bradford-on-Avon UDC, Melksham UDC, Trowbridge UDC, Warminster UDC, Warminster & Westbury RDC, Westbury UDC)
The present Wiltshire Council is a unitary council, which has taken over the duties of the former County Council as well as of the four District Councils.
The new council does not use arms.
Wiltshire County Council
Arms : Barry of eight Argent and Vert on a Canton of the first a Dragon rampant Gules.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Bustard wings elevated and addorsed proper.
The arms were officially granted on April 5, 1937.
The green and white colours of the arms echo the county's pasture-lands and chalk downs. The stripey field also recalls the arms of the city of Salisbury. The canton bears the dragon badge of Wessex. The crest has the great bustard which is now extinct in England. It is claimed that Wiltshire was its last refuge, but this disputed heraldically by Cambridgeshire.
Literature : Image and information provided by Laurence Jones