|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
Province : Limburg
The arms were granted on February 6, 1822 and again on May 29, 1838.
The sun (zon) is a canting element, the name means "sunny farms". The colours are the Dutch national colours, as at the time Belgium was part of the Netherlands. As no historical colours were known or provided, the national colours were used.
The Vlaamse Heraldische Raad has tried to change the colours or the arms, but the municipality still uses the 1822 arms.
The village used several seals in history, the oldest dating from the early 15th century. Thi sseal showed a barred shield and the local patron saint, St. Quirinius as supporter. In 1475 the shield was replaced by the arms of the Elter family, Lords of the village at the time, and still with the supporter.
The supporter was replaced by a helmet in 1558 and in 1593 by a lion. At the end of the 18th century the seal showed the arms of the Barons of Villenfagne, the Lords at the time.
In 1585 the local priest designed a seal with a landscape with a gate, sun, clouds and two birds, but it is not known whether this seal was actually used.
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955, Viane-Wouters and Warlop, 2002.