Duchy of Bar

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search

DUCHY OF BAR

Coat of arms (crest) of Duchy of Bar
Official blazon
French blazon wanted
English blazon wanted

Origin/meaning

The Duchy of Bar was a principality of the Holy Roman Empire encompassing the pays de Barrois and centred on the city of Bar-le-Duc. It was held by the House of Montbéliard from the 11th century. Part of the county, the so-called Barrois mouvant, became a fief of the Kingdom of France in 1301 and was elevated to the Duchy of Bar in 1354. The Barrois non-mouvant remained a part of the Empire. From 1480, it was united to the imperial Duchy of Lorraine.

Both imperial Bar and Lorraine came under the influence of France in 1735, with Bar ceded to the deposed king of Poland, Stanisław Leszczyński. According to the Treaty of Vienna (1738), the duchy would pass to the French crown upon Stanisław's death, which occurred in 1766.

The arms show a field semy of crosses and two canting barbels. Different variations of the arms exist, as shown in the image above from 1530.

Coat of arms (crest) of Duchy of Bar

The arms in the Wapen- en Vlaggenboek van Gerrit Hesman (1708)

French heraldry portal



This page is part of the
France.jpg
French heraldry portal


Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World

French heraldry:

Overseas territories:



  • Total pages in the French section : 52,982
  • of which images : 30,725

Selected collector's items from France:


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature : Historical background from Wikipedia