|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
DUMFRIESSHIRE (County Council)
Incorporated into: 1975 Dumfries and Galloway
Argent, a saltire Sable, in chief a man's heart Gules imperially crowned Or; on a chief of the Third, two mullets of the First.
The arms were officially granted on January 26, 1928.
The arms show a black saltire with a red chief; the combination of saltire and chief is a very common design in the arms of the local families; these colours are those of the Maxwells, Earls of Nithsdale, and the Johnstone, Marquises of Annandale families.
The red chief with the silver stars are derived from the arms of the House of Douglas. The crowned heart is taken from the arms of William Douglas, Lord of Nithsdale in the 14th century. It has been part of the arms of the head of the House of Douglas since 1633. The heart itself symbolises the heart of Robert Bruce, King of Scots.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Urquhart, 1974