The arms were granted on June 1, 2017.
The golden lion is taken from the old arms and refers to Göttingen, the blue lion is taken from the arms of Osterode am Harz and the wheel refers to the Eichsfeld region, to which part of the district historically belonged.
The previous arms were granted on November 8, 1973.
The arms show in the upper part the Welfen lion, as a common symbol for all three former districts. The lower part shows the anchor from the old arms, combined with the small shield derived from the Münden arms, and the wheel from the Duderstatadt arms.
The first arms were granted on October 25, 1935.
The upper part of the arms shows the lion of the Welfen dynasty, Dukes of Braunschweig. The largest part of the district was part of the main possession of the Welfen dynasty since the 13th century. The lower part shows the arms of the Counts of Plesse, who ruled the northern part of the district until 1571.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996