|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
GAINSBOROUGH (Rural District Council)
Incorporated into: West Lindsey
Arms : Per pale barry wavy of six Azure and Argent and Ermine on a Pale Or a Chevron Vert between in chief a Mitre afrontée Gules charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Gold and in base an Eagle displayed [wings inverted] also Gules.
Crest : On a Wreath Or and Gules a Danish Dragon-Ship Sable pennon flying Azure the sail Or charged with a Boar's Head erased of the first armed and langed Gules.
Motto: 'TRUST AND TRIUMPH'
The arms were officially granted on October 8, 1952.
The blue and white waves represent the River Trent and the ermine refers to Ermine Street, between these lies the gold 'pale' representing the rich agricultural areas. The chevron is common to the arms of John Wycliffe, Thomas Sutton and Admiral Lord Hawke, all of whom have associations with the area. Here it is coloured green to represent the central ridge called the Cliff. The mitre recalls the ancient See of Lindsey, based at Stow, from which the present See of Lincoln descends. The fleur-de-lys is a symbol of St. Mary and the red and gold is taken from the present diocesan colours. The eagle alludes to the area's many Roman connections and the presence of the R.A.F.
The blue and gold of the wreath are the colours of the Wray family and the dragon-ship is from the arms of the Lindsey County Council. They recall how Sweyn sailed up the Trent and made this district his headquarters. The boar's head refers to his name and is also found in the crest of the Bacon family.
The motto is a quotation from The Mill on the Floss, written at Morton.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site