From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Arms (crest) of Hunstanton

Country :

  • United Kingdom
    • England

Incorporated into:


  • Rural district council

Loading map...
Official blazon

Arms : Barry wavy Argent and Azure on a Pile reversed Gules two Arrows in saltire points downwards enfiled with a Coronet of four Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Or on a Chief also Gules a Lion passant of the first.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a Sea Lion Or supporting an Ostrich Feather erect Argent.
Motto: 'ALIOS DELECTARE JUVAT' - It is our pleasure to please others


The arms were officially granted on September 9, 1955.

The blue and white waves refer to the town's maritime location and the arrows and crown to St. Edmund, King of East Anglia. On the top of the cliffs are the ruins of St Edmund's Chapel which dates back to 1272 and celebrates the legend that when St Edmund first came from Saxony in 855 he landed near Hunstanton cliffs. The white lion is from the arms of the Le Strange family, who have been associated with Hunstanton for nearly a thousand years. Henry Styleman Le Strange, in 1845 issued a prospectus for a coastal holiday resort on an undeveloped part of his estate, leading to the growth of the modern town.

The crest combines the lion of England with a fish tail, giving a further maritime reference and the ostrich feather is from the arms of the Norfolk County Council.

Literature: Image and information from here

Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site