Country : Belgium
The arms were officially granted on September 29, 192 and changed on June 14, 1988.
The first arms (see below) are those of Elias van Koksijde, abbott of the Ten Duinen Abbey from 1189-1203. These arms are not historically relevant for the municipality and thus were replaced after the merger in 1977.
The new arms are those of the Ter Duinen Abbey, a large and important abbey, which has played a very large role in the history of the municipality. The Abbey was founded about a century before the parish of Koksijde was established.
The arms of the Abbey initially showed a crosier and a fish. In 1423 the arms showed two crossed keys and a fish, in 1580 the arms shown above appeared.
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955; Images obtained from the municipality.
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site