From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wappen von Lübeck/Arms (crest) of Lübeck

Country: Germany

State: Schleswig-Holstein

District (Kreis): Urban District (Kreisfreie Stadt)
Additions: (to see click on expand)

  • 1913 Genin
  • 1913 Gneversdorf
  • 1913 Gothmund
  • 1913 Herrenwyk
  • 1913 Israelsdorf (partly)
  • 1913 Krempelsdorf
  • 1913 Kücknitz (partly)
  • 1913 Moisling
  • 1913 Schlutup
  • 1913 Siems
  • 1913 Travemünde
  • 1913 Vorwerk
  • 1921 Schönböcken
  • 1921 Wesloe
  • 1927 Strecknitz
  • 1935 Beidendorf
  • 1935 Blankensee
  • 1935 Brodten
  • 1935 Dummersdorf
  • 1935 Ivendorf
  • 1935 Kronsforde
  • 1935 Krummesse
  • 1935 Moorgarten
  • 1935 Niederbüssau
  • 1935 Niendorf
  • 1935 Oberbüssau
  • 1935 Pöppendorf
  • 1935 Reecke
  • 1935 Rönnau
  • 1935 Teutendorf
  • 1935 Vorrade
  • 1935 Wulfsdorf

Loading map...
Official blazon
  • (1811) D'argent au vol ouvert de sable, chargé d'un écusson coupé d'argent et de gueules; au chef des bonnes villes.
  • (1937) In Gold ein rot bewehrter schwarzer Doppeladler mit einem von Silber und Rot geteilten Brustschild. Im großen Wappen halten zwei goldene Löwen den Schild; auf diesem ein Helm mit einköpfigem schwarzem Adler als Zier und silbern-roten Decken.
English blazon wanted


The arms were officially granted on January 26, 1937.

Lübeck was one of the main trading cities on the Baltic and in the whole North of Europe in the Middle Ages. It was one of the founders and the capital of the Hanseatic League, the main league of cities in those days.

The city used two different arms, often combined as double arms, one with the Imperial Eagle, as Lübeck was an imperial city (since 1226, the city was founded in 1143 by Adolph II, Duke of Holstein), and one with a divided shield of red and silver. The origin and meaning of the divided shield are unknown. It may be derived from the banner of the city, which can be seen on seals dating from the 13th century.

The colours were not only the colours of the city, but also of the whole Hanseatic League. The arms were combined in the present form in the second half of the 15th century and haven't changed since. The only time the arms were changed was during the Napoleonic times, when the city used only the divided shield, on which were placed two wings. The shield also had a chief with three bees, the mark of a city of the first rank. These arms were granted on June 13, 1811.

The great arms of the city show two golden lions as supporters and a helmet with a single-headed eagle as a crest. The colours of the cloth are silver and red.

Image gallery

Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Reissmann, 1997; Ewe 1972

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal

Heraldry of the World

German heraldry:

Selected collector's items from Germany:

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site