Region : Comunidad de Madrid
Madrid was a Moorish fortress, which was taken by Alfonso VI of Castille in 1083. It was made the capital of Spain by Philips II in 1561. The arms date from the 13th century and seem to symbolise some dispute over farming rights between the clergy and the civilians of the city. During the 19th and 20th century a sometimes a dragon and a wreath were added (see below).
The dragon was seen on the top of "Puerta Cerrada" (The western Gate of the town) during the Middle ages until the XVII century. Nobody knows the meaning of it. The wreath symbolises a medal given to the people of Madrid by the Spainsh Congress in 1813 because of the people's revolution against the French troops during the invasion by Napoleon. The oldest arms of Madrid, known from 1212 show a walking bear, with some stars on its back. In 1222 two different arms were used, one quartered with the old bear and two towers, as well as the present arms.
The arms from 1212
The arms from 1222
Later the arms remained unchanged until the 19th century as mentioned above. However, on an image from 1544, the crown appeared in the shield instead of above.
The arms from 1544
The arms in the Continentale Verlags-Anstalt album, +/- 1910
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (1900)
The arms in a 1930s album
Literature : de Cadenas, A. A. and de Cadenas, V. : Heraldica de las comunidades autonomas y de las capitales de provincia. Hidalguia, Madrid, 1985; Louda, J. : European Civic Heraldry. Hamlyn, London, 1966; info provided by Ricardo Roncero, Spain and Rafael Portell. Main image by Massimo Ghirardi
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site