|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1974 Rotherham
Arms : Argent on a Chevron Gules between three Parrots Vert collared of the second a Mitre of the field on a Chief also Gules an open Book proper edged and bound Gold between two Roses also Argent barbed and seeded proper.
Crest : Out of a Coronet composed of eight Cog-Wheels in mesh set upon a Steel Rim proper a demi Lion Sable gorged with a Collar gemel dancetty Or and holding between the paws a Shuttle erect proper.
Motto: 'PER LABOREM SCIENTIAM ARTEM' - Through hard work, knowledge and skill.
The arms were officially granted on June 2, 1958.
The various elements of the arms relate to the history of the area. The red chevron with the bishop's mitre alludes to Roche Abbey while the parrots ("popinjays" in heraldic terms) were taken from the arms of the Lumley family, Earls of Scarbrough, who have been lords of the manor of Maltby since the 18th century.
The arms of the earl are described as 'argent, a fess gules, between three popijays vert, collared of the second' = a white shield with a red strip across the middle, above the stripe are two green parrots with red collars, below is one green parrot with a red collar.
The supporters are two parrots with wings expanded, with green beaks and red legs.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Briggs, 1971.