|In Blau über durchgehender silberner Zinnenmauer mit offenem Tor, darin ein goldenes Fallgitter, der wachsende, golden nimbierte und gekleidete heilige Matthäus, der ein silbernes Beil mit rotem Griff hält, begleitet beidseitig von je einem silbernen Ring.
The arms were officially granted on August 8, 1892.
The arms are based on the old medieval seal of the city, known since 1281. The arms show the local patron saint S. Matthew with a book. When the new arms were designed in 1891 the saint was shown standing behind a city wall, as Marne had become a city in 1891. Instead of the book, he received an axe in his hands, symbol of a martyr. The two rings indicate the dikes in the area, which protect the city from the sea.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature: Reissmann, 1997