National Arms of Vanuatu
|A Melanesian Chief, armed with a spear, standing before a mountain. Behind him a boars’- tusk and two leaves of the namele (coconut palm) in saltire, all proper. Motto: LONG GOD YUMI STANAP
By treaties of 1906 and 1914-1922 the archipelago became a French-British condominium as the New Hebrides. It was administrated by twelve British Resident Commisioners from 1902 until 1980 and by twenty eight French Resident Commisioners from 1901 until 1980.
On 30 July 1980 a sovereign republic was proclaimed with the name “Ripablik blong Vanuatu”. The name “Vanuatu” is composed of the words vanua = land and atu = independent, from the local bislama language.
During colonial times no arms were used, the resident British commissioner used a simple badge (see image below).
After the independence no arms were designed, but the Republic uses the above National Emblem.
The Vanuatu national emblem was adopted 30 July 1980.
The Melanesian Chief was chosen by the Hon. Walter Hayde Lini, who fought for independence and was the first Prime Minister.
The motto is from the proclamation of independence on 30 July 1980 when he said in his speech that the people of Vanuatu would endure with God’s help: Long God Yumi Stanap in bislama language.
The mountain is the Espiritu Santu mountain (1811 m.), the highest point of the country.
Vanuatu heraldry portal
This page is part of the Vanuatu heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site