|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
POULTON-LE-FYLDE (Urban district council)
Incorporated into : 1974 : Wyre
Arms : Azure on Water barry wavy proper a Lymphad sail furled Or flags Argent charged with a Cross Gules on a Chief of the second a Rose of the fourth barbed and seeded proper between to Crosses formy also of the fourth.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of Poulton-le-Fylde Market Cross and Stocks proper.
Motto: 'SUB CRUCE FLOREAMUS' - May we flourish beneath the cross
The arms were officially granted on November 3, 1950.
The ancient ship on water refers to the former port at Skippool ('ship pool') and to the name of Poulton ('the town by the pool'). Its sail is furled to indicate that in modern times the ancient port had lost its former importance. The red rose represents the County and two crosses are emblems of St Chad, patron saint of the parish. The crosses indicate the importance of Poulton as the centre of an ecclesiastical district for many generations before its more populous neighbours were formed into separate parishes, and indicate the great part played in the life of the town by its various churches.
The blue and gold of the crest-wreath are those of the Fleetwood family whose monuments are to be found in the Church and who were for generations connected with the manor and living. The main part of the crest takes the form of the stocks and market cross - the most familiar objects in Poulton for a great many years.
The motto alludes to the crosses in the shield and the market-cross in the crest, and refers to the town's importance as both an ecclesiastical and commercial centre.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site