Country : Iceland
The arms were designed in 1951 and officially adopted by the city of Reykjavík on June 6, 1957.
The arms show the throne pillars of Ingolfr Árnarson, the first permanent settler of Iceland. After his banishment form Norway, he decided to settle in Iceland. After reaching the coast he threw his throne pillars in the sea and swore to built his home on the spot where the pillars would drift ashore. He found his pillars in the second summer in Iceland on the spot of the present Reykjavík. He thus founded the city.
Until 1957 the city used a simple seal showing a fisherman (see image below). This seal was designed for the town in 1815. Reykjavík had received town status in 1786.
The arms on a manhole cover (source)
The arms on a Dutch Willem II cigar band
The arms on a Dutch VéGé silk
Iceland heraldry portal
This page is part of the Iceland heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site