|Heraldry of the World
|Australian heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Australia
State : Victoria
Incorporated into : 1994 Greater Dandenong, Frankston, Kingston
Arms : Quarterly gules and azure, on a cross throughout Or between in the first quarter a Merino sheep statant in the second a washing cradle Or, in the third a garb banded lying between two others erect and in the fourth an Ayrshire cow statant all proper a fountain.
Crest: On a wreath Or and gules, issuing from the midst of a pile of six railway sleepers a red gum tree proper.
Supporters: On a compartment overgrown with weeds, to the dexter a black swan and to the sinister a whitefaced heron all proper.
Motto: Facta Non Verba
The arms were granted on 15 January 1976.
The shield is based on the original Seal of the Municipality, when it was constituted as the Shire of Dandenong in 1873. The Merino Sheep, Gold Washing Cradle, Sheaf of Oats, and Ayrshire Cow represent the main industries in the area at that time. The Fountain in the centre alludes to the many springs, which gave the region its name. The Red Gum Tree and pile of sleepers recall that much of the area was flood-prone and swampy, abounding with Red Gum forest from which rail sleepers were cut. These swamps were the home of many water birds including the Black Swan and the White-faced Heron. The watery compartment overgrown with reeds represents the Edithvale Swamp.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site
Literature : Image and background provided by Denis Towner.