Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on November 24, 1819, changed on November 14, 1921 and confirmed again on April 24, 1980.
The arms are derived from the 17th century seal of the Price-Abbots of Stavelot. In 1819 the arms were granted in the Dutch colours, gold and blue, these were changed in 1921.
The upper half of the arms shows the patron saint of the Abbey of Stavelot and village, St. Remaclus, founder of the abbey in 650. The lower half shows a wolf, used as a symbol by the abbots for the village of Stavelot and surroundings. The wolf is derived from the legend of the building of the abbey; the wolf supposedly helped to build the abbey by carrying stones on its back in two baskets.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a Roulertas Confiserie label
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site