From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,572
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351



Incorporated into : 1975 Kincardine and Deeside District Council (1996 Aberdeenshire Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Stonehaven

Official blazon

Per fess: in chief paly of six Or and Gules, in base Azure.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet suitable to a Burgh and thereon a Helmet suitable to their degree with a Mantling Gules doubled Or, and thereon is set for Crest issuing from a marquess's coronet Gules, a roe­ buck's head Or, attired Gules, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto "Veritas Vincit" and on a Compart­ ment below the Shield are set for Supporters two stags Or, attired Gules.


The arms were granted on October 18, 1929.

Stonehaven was made a Burgh of Barony in 1587 in favour of George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal of Scotland.

The arms are based on those of the Earl Marischal which show 'Argent, a chief Gules, 3 pallets Or'. In differencing the arms from those of the Earl Marischal, the lower half of the shield has been made blue to denote that Stonehaven is a seaport while the harts for the crest and supporters have been described as roebucks and rendered in red and gold Keith colours.

The Earl Maris­chal's Latin motto "Truth Prevails" has been retained.

Peterhead, also a Burgh of the same Earl Marischal, has a similar coat of arms.

seal of Stonehaven

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s

Community Council

Arms (crest) of Stonehaven

Official blazon

Per fess, in chief paly of six Or and Gules, in base Azure.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Veritas Vincit".


The arms were granted on February 21, 1989.

These are the burgh arms without supporters and with a different crown.

Contact and Support


Your logo here ?
Contact us

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001