Département : Pyrénées-Atlantiques
|D'azur à un pont alésé à trois arches de gueules, maçonné de sable, surmonté d'une étoile d'argent et soutenu de deux saumons d'argent nageant et contre-nageant l'un au-dessus de l'autre.
The two salmon, refer to fishing on the Adour, which is the origin of the village around the year 1000 and was one of its main activities until the beginning of the 20th century.
The bridge, a symbol of communication, joins the two banks of the river. Before the construction of the bridge (at the end of the 19th century), a ferry was used to transport people, livestock and goods. Pilgrims used it to go to Santiago de Compostela.
The star recalls that the village, for several centuries, is placed under the protection of the Virgin St. Mary. In the 17th century, the municipality was called "Beata Maria d'Urt" (Blessed Mary of Urt).
French heraldry portal
This page is part of the French heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from France:
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site