Midlothian

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 15,571
  • Total images in the British section : 9,351

MIDLOTHIAN

County Council

Incorporated into : 1975 Midlothian District Council of the Lothian Region

Arms of Midlothian

Official blazon

Or, a lion rampant Vert, armed and langued Gules, surmounted of a fess Azure charged with three suns in their splendour of the field.

Which Shield is ensigned of a coronet appropriate to a County Council.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on June 25, 1951.

The green lion on the gold field refers to the old arms of the Viscountcy of Primrose, now held by the Earls of Rosebery and Midlothian. The gold suns on the blue fess allude to the 1st and 3rd quarters of the arms of the Earldom of Lothian, now held by the Marquis of Lothian.

District Council

Additions: 1975 burghs of Bonnyrigg and Lasswade, Dalkeith, Loanhead, Penicuik
Incorporated into : 1996 Midlothian Area Council

Arms of Midlothian

Official blazon

Or, a lion rampant Vert, armed and langued Gules, surmounted of a fess Azure charged with three suns in their splendour of the field.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a statutory District, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased, from which are issuant eight thistlewheads (three and two halves visible) Or.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 27, 1976.

These are the County arms with a crown of a district council.

Area Council

Additions: 1996 Midlothian District council

Arms of Midlothian

Official blazon

Or, a lion rampant Vert, armed and langued Gules, surmounted of a fess Azure charged with three suns in their splendour of the Field.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Area Council videlicet:- issuant from a circlet eight paling piles (three and two halves visible) Or and eight garbs (four visible) of the Last, banded Sable; on a Compartment below the Shield are set for Supporters, dexter, the figure of a coal miner carrying in his dexter hand a miner's lamp Proper, and sinister, the figure of a Lowland farmer (circa 1800), vested grey, his waist band Gules and Lowland Scots bonnet Azure, holding in his sinister hand a sickle Proper.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on January 15, 1997.

These are the former County and District arms with a crown for an Area council land with supporters.

The supporters were specially chosen to show the area's close connections with coal-mining and agriculture.


Contact and Support

Partners:

Your logo here ?
Contact us



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg
Index of the site

Literature: Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001